From The Constitution, Wednesday, July 17, 1861 (volume 24, number 1229)

Latest News

The gunboat Freeborn has arrived at Washington from a cruise on the Potomac. On Sunday noon while off Aqui Creek, with the Pawnee, Resolute and Pocahontas discovered three floating tanks. It was found that they were infernal machines. One struck the rudder of the Resolute, lost its buoy and sunk. The others were turned over and the [force?] put out by dipping in the water. They were filled with all sorts of destructive missiles. One weighed 400 pounds.

A gentleman from New Orleans arrived at Boston, reports that the rebels had taken a powerful tug boat, covered her with railroad iron and put her machinery below water :–They had also built a new boat all of iron, intended to run down U. S. vessels.

D. S. S. Barrett, one of the late armorers at Harpers Ferry, had arrived at Washington with the iron mould of the Government muskets, which he concealed at the time of the late evacuation by the rebels. The rebels offered a large reward for the gun mould, without which the machinery stolen by them is valueless.

A letter from Charleston, Va., says that Gov. Wise is there.

Col. E. D. Keyes, in command of the Conn. brigade, says his face is to the front, that he has not been 500 yards in the rear since he took command, and does not intend to go in that direction.

The 4th Conn. regiment is guarding the depots at Hagerstown and Williamsport—five companies at each place.

Most of the regiments have been paid off, and the soldiers are sending money home to their friends by express. From twenty to twenty five thousand dollars is distributed to each regiment, some of them however, received much more.

It is rumored at Washington, that Senator Carlile has information that a prominent officer of the confederate army is about to tender, through him, to the government, three regiments of Virginians who have determined to stand by the Union.


Details of the Great Victory in Western Virginia

6 Cannon and a Whole Camp Captured

Rebel loss 150 killed and wounded, and 100 prisoners—Federal loss 11 killed and 35 wounded.

The following dispatch was received on Saturday, at the army headquarters in Washington, from Gen. McClellan

Beverly, July 13, 1861

“To Col. E. D. Townsend, Washington :–

The success of to-day is all that I could desire. We captured six brass cannon, of which one is rifled, and all the enemy’s transportation and camp equipage, even to his tin cups. The number of tents taken will probably reach 200, with more than sixty wagons. Their killed and wounded will amount to fully 150, with at least 11 prisoners, and more coming in constantly. I know already of ten rebel officers killed or taken prisoners. Their defeat was complete.

I occupied Beverly by a rapid march—Garnet abandoned his camp early this morning, leaving much of his equipage. He came within a few miles of Beverly, but our rapid march turned him back in great confusion, and he is retreating on the road to St. George. Gen. Morris is to follow him up closely.

I have telegraphed for the two Pennsylvania regiments at Cumberland to join Gen. Hill at Rowelsburg. The general is concentrating all his troops at Rowelsburg, and will cut off Garnet’s retreat near West Union, or if possible at St. George’s.

I may say that we have driven out ten thousand troops, strongly entrenched, with the loss of eleven killed and thirty-five wounded. Provision returns found here show Garnet’s force to have been ten thousand men. They were Eastern Virginians, Georgians, Tennesseans, and, I think, Carolinans. To-morrow I can give full details as to prisoners, &c.

I trust that Gen. Cox has by this time driven Wise out of the Kanawha valley. In that case I shall have accomplished the object of liberating Western Virginia. I hope the general in chief will approve of my operations.

G. B. McClellan

Major General, Department of Ohio


Cincinnati, July 15

Gen. Garnett (rebel) was killed by an Indiana soldier, in a regular battle fought yesterday, 8 miles from St. George. This is reliable. Particulars of the battle soon.

A train arrived at Grafton at 10 o’clock this morning, bringing the body of Gen. Garnett, {ex-congressman of Va.} late commander of the rebel forces at Laurel Hill, who was killed while attempting to rally his retreating forces at Carracks Ford, near St. George. The rebels were completely routed by Gen. Morris. All their camp equipage was captured, and many prisoners, with 50 killed. The loss on our side is 4 of the Ohio 14th killed and a few wounded. The rebels scattered in every direction.

There is no rebel force now within Gen. McClellan’s district.


Three companies sent for the relief of Col. Smith returned Thursday night to Hannibal and report the road unobstructed between Hannibal and Monroe. On arriving at the latter place they formed a junction with Col. Smith’s force, who had entrenched themselves in Academy Buildings. The rebels, 1200 strong, were grouped around over the prairie out of reach of Col. Smith’s regiment.

They had two pieces of artillery, which they brought to bear, but the distance was so great that their balls were almost spent when they reached our lines. The last shot from the south gun dismounted one of the enemy’s. Just then Gov. Wood of Illinois fell on them with his cavalry, completely routing them and taking 75 prisoners, one gun and a large number of horses. From 20 to 30 rebels were killed, but not a man of the federals, although several were severely wounded.

Col. Smith has determined to shoot the most prominent rebels. Gen. Tom Harris, the rebel leader, escaped.

Important Battle in Missouri

An important battle was fought in Missouri on Friday, the 5th inst., between Gov. Jackson and Gen. Kains at the head of about five thousand state troops and Siegel at the head of only fifteen thousand [sic—should be fifteen hundred?] National troops. The attack was made by Col. Siegel, at Briar Forks near Carthage, and notwithstanding the immense numerical superiority of the enemy, the latter were driven back and the order was given by Gov. Jackson to retreat. But Col. Siegel finding that in pursuing the enemy his men were likely to get surrounded, ordered his command back, keeping up a murderous fire of artillery all the while. While retiring he received a reinforcement of two hundred men, when he again made an attack and drove back Jackson’s forces with great slaughter. The loss of the National troops in this engagement is reported to be five killed and two mortally wounded. The loss of secessionists is stated to be very large, but no correct account can be given.

At the latest accounts Gen. Lyon was marching rapidly South in Gov. Jackson’s rear with a force of over 2000 men. On the 25th ult. Major Sturgis left Kansas City on his way south to cut off Jackson. He had with him a force of 2500, a large part being U. States regulars. If Jackson remained near Carthage, he must ere this have encountered the combined national forces, who would be under the command of Gen. Lyon, when his further career in Missouri would be effectively closed.

Movements of Troops

Eight regiments have crossed over the Potomac within the last two days, together with two or three fine batteries of rifled cannon. There has as yet been no actual advance, although there seems to be indications of some movements.

Terrorism in Virginia

The reign of terror in London [sic – Loudoun?] county, Va., is at its height. Notice of a military muster for Monday was given on Saturday, when citizens were to be ready to be drafted for an immediate march to Manassas to fill up the ranks of Beauregard’s forces. All the Union men of Waterford are determined to escape. Thirteen fled and escaped on Saturday night.

The Three Months Volunteers

The 1st Regiment Connecticut Volunteers will be mustered out of the service of the United States in New Haven on the 22d inst. The 2d Regiment on the 7th of next month. It is said that most of the soldiers for three months will re-enlist for three years. Some of them will if they have opportunity, but a large part of them will be contented to stay at home a while.

A Large Factory …

Is now nearly completed in the south part of the city [i.e., Middletown], which will probably in the course of a few weeks give employment to from two to three hundred men. We refer to the late Power Co. buildings now receiving large additions and improvements for the manufacture of firearms. Machinery will be put into the buildings by the last of this month.

The Hartford Courant

The “old Courant,” which is universally acknowledged to be the best newspaper in Connecticut, has lately purchased a first class Hoe power press, and is now printed in a manner to please the most fastidious critic in newspaper printing. We are glad to see this evidence of prosperity. The Courant has always been the advocate of sound political principles, a promoter of good morals, and has exerted a vast influence on the right side in this State. May it continue to prosper.

The Bane of the Times

We are glad to see that Dr. Hawes has consented to publish his somewhat famous Lecture on Tobacco. The weed finds no favor at his hands, and it would be well for all addicted to its use to ponder well the facts and reasonings set forth in this little tract. Our own community had the pleasure of listening to this lecture last Spring. It has been delivered in several places upon request, and, as the author and others have reason to know, with marked profit. It is printed in neat and cheap form and can be had doubtless of our booksellers. Let it be read by all, especially the disciples of the cloudy divinity, and its admonitions heeded.

Godey’s Lady’s Book

The August No. of this universally popular magazine is received. Among its embellishments is a Double Extension Colored Fashion Plate, with six figures. The leading article is headed “How to Make a Cup of Coffee.” It occupies three pages, and we commend it to the notice of the ladies. Philadelphia. L. A. Godey.