From The Constitution, Wednesday, September 4, 1861 (volume 24, number 1236)

Battle of Summersville

Cincinnati, Wednesday, Aug. 28.

The following are all the particulars that we can learn of the battle at Summersville, on the 26th, which appears to have been a bloody affair.

The Seventh Ohio Regiment, Col. Tyler, was surrounded while at breakfast, and attacked on both flanks and in the front simultaneously. Our men immediately formed for battle, and fought bravely, while they saw but little chance of success. The enemy proving too powerful, Col. Tyler sent forward to the baggage train, which was coming up three miles distant, and turned it back towards Gauley Bridge, which place it reached in safety. Companies B, C, and I, suffered more severely. They, particularly, were in the hottest of the fight, and finally fought their way through fearful odds, making dreadful havoc in the enemy’s forces. The Rebel force consisted of 8,000 infantry, 400 cavalry, and ten guns. The National forces scattered, after cutting their way through, but soon formed again and fired, but received no reply or pursuit from the enemy. Our loss is not yet definitely ascertained. Not over 200 are missing out of the 900 engaged. The Rebel loss was fearful. Lieut.-Col. Creighton captured the enemy’s colors and two prisoners.

The following is a list of the officers known to be killed : Capt. Dyer, Co. D, Painesville ; Capt. Shurtleff, Co. C, Oberlin ; Capt. Sterling, Co. I ; Adjutant Deforest, Cleveland ; Lieut. Chas. Narrent ; Sergeant-Major King, of Warrent. The other field officers are all safe.

Summersville is the County Seat of Nicholas County, the next east of Kanawha County, and is about 50 miles from Charleston, the central position of the Kanawha Valley. It is about 25 miles from Gauley Bridge, and up the Gauley River. Gen. Cox, we suppose, is at Gauley Bridge, with part of the Army operating in the Kanawha Valley ; and the defeat of Tyler does not necessarily restore that important district of Western Virginia to the Secessionists. But there is danger that such, in the end, will be the result.

A Brilliant Victory !

Fort Hatteras Taken.

On Wednesday, the Minnesota, Wabash, Cumberland, Susquehanna, Pawnee, Harriet Lane and Monticello, and the transport steamers Adelaide and Peabody, with numerous tugs arrived off Hatteras Inlet. The fleet, commanded by Flag Officer Stringham, the land forces under Gen. Butler.–Two forts which had been erected to guard the mouth of Hatteras Inlet, which commands the entrance to Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds, which afford connection thus for Virginia to the sea.

At ten o’clock the Wabash fired the first gun, the eleven-inch shell striking near the battery and bursting with tremendous force. The battery, which was of sand, covered with turf, and mounting five long thirty-two’s, instantly returned the fire, the shot falling short. The Minnesota and Cumberland immediately opened fire and rained nine and eleven shells into and about it.—The fire was terrific, and soon the battery’s responses were few and far between, save when [t]he frigate suspended fire for a while to get a new position, when the enemy’s fire was most spirited.

In the meantime the landing of troops was commenced, but owing to the surf only 300 were enabled to land.

The fort replied to the incessant cannonading without much damage, and after three hours the flag on Fort Clark was hauled down, and the rebels retreated to Fort Hatteras, a large work below.

The enemy ceased firing a little before two, and after a few more shells had been thrown in the Commodore signalized to cease firing.

The troops had meantime advanced to within a short distance of the fort, and before we ceased firing some of our men got in and raised the Stars and Stripes. The place was too hot for the men, but the flag was left waving. Coxswain Benjamin Sweares, of the Pawnee’s first cutter, stood for some time on the ramparts waving the flag amid a flight of shells.

Our land forces soon after occupied the abandoned fort.

The vessels remained near all night, some fear existing of an attack upon the small land force. Early Thursday morning, the fleet again opened a concentrated fire on Fort Hatteras, the shots from the latter falling far short. Our fire was so hot that all of the enemy that could do so got into a bomb proof in the middle of the battery.

At 11.30 our shells beginning to play on the magazine, the rebels hoisted the white flag, when our troops started on the double quick from Fort Clark, and were met on the beach by a flag of truce. Capt. Nixon, of the Coast Guard, went to the Fort when Commodore Baron, assistant Secretary of the Confederate Navy, asked the officers to be allowed to march out with side arms, and the men be permitted to return to their homes after surrendering their side arms.—These terms were pronounced inadmissible by General Butler, and finally the force was surrendered without condition.

Commodore Barron gave his sword to Commodore Stringham, and the others gave theirs to Gen. Butler.

We came in possession of one thousand stand of arms, thirty-two heavy guns, ammunition for the same, a large amount of hospital and other stores, two schooners—one loaded with tobacco, and the other with provisions ; one brig, loaded with cotton, two lightboats, two surf boats, &c.

No one on our side was killed.

Gen. Lyon’s Body

 was first buried on the 13th ult., on the farm of Hon. John S. Phelps.

When preparations had been completed for its removal to Connecticut, it was disinterred and taken to St. Louis where there were imposing funeral ceremonies at which were present Gen. Fremont and his staff. The streets of St. Louis, through which the procession passed were thronged with spectators, flags were displayed throughout the route, and the city was draped in mourning. This was on Wednesday. The body reached New York yesterday (Monday) where it received grand military and civic honors.

The body will arrive in Harford this (Tuesday) afternoon, where it will be received by the Governor and staff, by the Mayor and Common Council and by the military companies. It will be taken to the Senate chamber in the State House where it will lie in state until Wednesday afternoon, when it will be taken to Eastford for final burial.


No sooner had Senator Breckinridge reached his home than Gov. Maguffin sent a deputation to President Lincoln and another to Jeff. Davis requiring them to respect the neutrality of Kentucky and demanding that neither side should send armed soldiers into the State. It is not difficult to see that Breckinridge is at the bottom of this move and that the Governor is a willing tool in his hands. Since the Senator has discovered that it was not safe for him to attempt to incite treason against the government in Maryland, New York, and New England, he has gone to work in his own State.

The position which Gov. Magoffin assumes at the instigation of Breckinridge is as absurd as it is traitorous. The state has already been invaded by the secessionists from Tennessee, and a portion of her territory at the Cumberland Gap, we believe, is now held by them. But this has not disturbed the Governor in the least. He appeared to be well satisfied that secession troops should occupy the sacred soil of Kentucky. As soon, however, as he learned that the national government intended to send troops there he sent forth a remonstrance. It appears from this that Kentucky is neutral when the United States government proposes to assert its authority there, while it had no occasion to proclaim neutrality when it was invaded by a neighboring state.

The efforts of Magoffin and Breckinridge to bring Kentucky into the ranks of secession will be in vain. That state has already given in her adherence to the Union by an overwhelming majority.

A Proclamation

By His Excellency the Governor.

Eleven States of the Union are now armed and in open rebellion against federal authority ; they have paralyzed the business of the nation, have involved us in civil war, and are now exerting their combined energies to rob us of the blessings of a free government. The greatness of their crime has no parallel in the history of human governments. At this critical juncture, our liberties are still further imperiled by the utterance of seditious language ; by a traitorous press, which excuses or justifies the rebellion ; by secret organizations, which propose to resist the laws of this State by force ; by the public exhibition of “peace flags,” falsely so called ; and by an effort to redress grievances regardless of the forms and officers of the law.

The very existence of our government, the future prosperity of this entire nation, and the hopes of universal freedom demand that these outrages be suppressed.

The constitution guarantees liberty of speech and of the press, but holds the person and the press responsible for the evils which result from this liberty. It guarantees the protection of property, but it regards no property as sacred which is used to subvert governmental authority, it guarantees the person from unreasonable seizure, but it protects no individual from arrest and punishment who gives aid and comfort to the enemies of our country. It provides by law for the punishment of offences, but allows no grievance to be redressed by violence.

I therefore call upon the citizens of this State to support and uphold the authority and dignity of the government, and to abstain from any act which can tend to encourage and strengthen this conspiracy ; and I call upon the officers of the law to be active, diligent and fearless in arresting and in instituting legal proceedings for the punishment of those who disturb the public peace, of those who are guilty of sedition and treason, and of those who are embraced in combinations to obstruct the execution of the laws ; so that peace may again be restored to our distracted country, and the liberties of the people be preserved.

Given under my hand, and the seal of this State, at Hartford, this thirty-first day of August, A. D. 1861.

Wm. A. Buckingham

By His Excellency’s command.

J. H. Trumbull, Secretary of State.

Peace Meetings

Under this caption the New London Democrat gives an article from which we make the following extracts :

The sooner these meetings are stopped the better it will be for the peace of Connecticut. There is no doubt if Peace meetings had not been held in the Western part of the State there would have been no mob violence, resulting in the destruction of the Bridgeport Farmer office. They were the provoking, irritating cause. There will be a time to hold Peace meetings, and talk of Peace, but it is not now. There is we think nothing to do now but to go right on and crush out the rebellion. We hear no words of Peace from the Rebel army. We hear of no Peace meetings being held in the rebel States. They are arousing all their energies to fight, to destroy the best Government ever reared by man, to erect on its ruins we know not what. Their motto is, “Down with the Government.”

The editor says further :

The Government is in peril, and must be saved. Peace meetings at the North will not save it, but tend to weaken it inasmuch as they furnish aid and comfort to the enemy. We have a case in point. In a town in Connecticut a Peace meeting was announced. The time arrived. The Peace men and Union men were there. The latter in much the larger number. An attempt was made to read some Peace Resolutions. They were not read, and the authors left the room. Union Resolutions were read and passed by a unanimous vote. Those Peace Resolutions which were not even read were printed and published in a paper as having “passed a large and enthusiastic Peace Meeting,” and a large number of copies of the paper sent South to inform those in rebellion against the Government that they had friends at the North, who were in this manner indirectly aiding them in their attempts to destroy it. Here is another of the pregnant evils of the Peace meetings.


The Sheriff of Fairfield county took down a secession flag at Chestnut Hill, five miles north of Bridgeport, Wednesday. The Constable in any town or the Sheriff in any county is authorized by law to take down treasonable flags.


Gen. Mansfield is now at home in this city on a short furlough. Notwithstanding the severe labors which he has passed through during the past three months, he is looking remarkably well, and as though his heavy responsibilities were none too much for him. He evidently feels the most implicit confidence in the Government to sustain itself in this war.


The enlistments in this city are now going on prosperously. Lieut. John Thompson is recruiting for the Connecticut regiments. His tent is pitched on Union Park. He has already enlisted about forty, and averages three or four a day. They are sent to the encampment at Hartford as soon as enlisted, where they at once enter upon their duties as soldiers, and where the companies are filled up and organized.

B. Giroux is recruiting for a New York regiment. His office is opposite the Central Bank. Several have enlisted.

Irish Regiment

About 500 men have already enlisted for the Irish regiment now forming in this state. A company was started in Hartford yesterday, and by last evening some forty men had enlisted. The regiment is to be composed entirely of Irishmen. Could not a company be got up in this city?


There are many able bodied men in this city who are out of employment, and who can leave home without inconvenience. Such men cannot do better for themselves or their families than to enlist. Liberal pay is offered, and army arrangements are such now that the soldiers are well cared for. This is an excellent opportunity for many a man to make good provision for himself and family for the coming winter.


There is now being built on the corner of Church and Hubbard streets, a large public reservoir.

The West Green

We learn that $300 have already been raised by private subscription for the improvement of the West Green at the head of Washington street. An equal sum, it is thought, can be obtained from the city treasury. It may be expected therefore that work will soon be commenced in grading and laying out the ground for a City Park. This will afford employment to many who are now out of work.

Windows Broken

The large front window of the store of Clark Elliott was broken on Friday night by some evil disposed person. It was a gross outrage, and the perpetrator if detected should be severely punished.


During the week past a large quantity of cotton has arrived at this port from Providence, for the purpose of being shipped to Europe. This is owing no doubt to most of the factories in Lowell being closed, and the price of cotton at present is from sixteen to eighteen cents per pound. The stores in Providence are said to be full.—N. Y. Com.

A Shocking Death

The wife of Dr. Brod[h]urst, a London physician, has met death in much the same horrible manner as the wife of Professor Longfellow. The doctor left her writing a note in the drawing room, but was recalled by loud cries of “I’m on fire !” He rushed down, and found his wife in the middle of the drawing room, enveloped in flames. Her clothes were entirely consumed, and the furniture near her was on fire. She had on a white muslin dress.

She did not seem to have lost her presence of mind, for she requested the rug to be rolled around her, and the bell to be rung for the servants, which he did, and extinguished the flames about the upper part of her person. Immediately the bell was rung, three servants rushed in, and he believed the reason of their being so near the door was because his wife had run the bell before for prayers. Unfortunately, she had on one of those crinolines made of steel hoops. Every means was tried to extinguish the fire about and under the hoops with the sofa cushions and other things at hand.

He also knelt on and tried to compress and break them for the purpose of putting the fire out, but all without avail, and they had to be cut off before it could be extinguished. She had been writing, with a candle by her side, which had burnt down in the socket, and he believed that she had tried to reach an envelope from the case, when the light caught her muslin sleeve.