From The Constitution, Wednesday, September 11, 1861 (volume 24, number 1237)

The Rebels

Poolesville, Md., dispatches of Monday last say that intelligence from the Virginia shore states that from opposite the White House ford, near the mouth of the Seneca river, down to Arlington Heights, the rebels have heavy pickets, and are daily expecting reinforcements to enable them to extend to Conrad’s ferry. There are at least 600 now along the line. On Friday 1000 Mississippians reached the vicinity of Fairfax Court House, with 60 pieces of artillery. The rebels estimate their force before Washington at 125,000. They say that an attack will be made this week, and simultaneously at several points. They claim to have plenty of provisions and whiskey. All shops and houses have been entirely drained of salt, sugar and coffee, and money cannot purchase these articles. Men frequently come down to the river and beg earnestly of Marylanders for a pittance of these articles. Cattle are suffering terribly for want of salt.

Four sons who had deserted, were on Sunday arrested and taken back to the rebel army, and their aged father taken also, as a hostage.

Condition of Affairs in Virginia

From a gentleman recently from Loudon County, Va., the account is confirmed that there is a frightful amount of sickness amongst the troops in the vicinity of Leesburgh and at Manassas Junction. Of the four regiments of Confederates at the former place, at least 500 were sick, largely from measles, which proves very fatal. So great is the want amongst the troops that every farmer in the vicinity was remorselessly stripped of everything that could minister to their necessities. Almost every available dwelling had more or less sick soldiers in it, and our informant states that the drugs of the practicing physicians were swept completely to supply them.

From another sources we learn that the strongest Secessionists now stand no better chance of escaping the evils of military occupation than the Union men. No remonstrance was tolerated from any ; but the threat to be put in the Army, or worse intimidation, served to silence all who were subjected to the plundering process so rife in their quarter. The Union men of Loudon were awaiting impatiently for some relief from such a fearful condition of things, large numbers of families, consisting only of women and children, being left in utter destitution, the male members having been compelled to leave the county.

One fact more ; They were quite destitute of salt, and were compelled to eat the fresh meats almost as soon as slaughtered, having no means of keeping them, a circumstance which has doubtless added to the sickness amongst a people ordinarily depending so much upon bacon as an article of food through the Summer months.—Baltimore American.

Louisville, Sept. 8th, 1861.

Richmond and Memphis papers of the 5th, Charleston and New Orleans of the 4th, and Nashville of the 6th have been received here. A panic produced by the capture of the Hatteras forts continues to rage all along the Gulf coast the papers clamorously demand the strengthening of the sea-coast defenses of the rebel government. Their terror is greatly increased by constant reports of further aggressive movements of the Union army. Large numbers of families are flying from Wilmington, and all the women and children have been removed from Newbern. A regiment of infantry and two batteries hurried to the defense of the latter point.

Evidently, from the tone of the Richmond papers, the threatening of the Gulf coast will produce a change of strategy on the part of the rebel government, and that offensive steps are not likely to be taken by the army of the Potomac for some time.

The Federal Commander at Fort Hatteras

Col. Max Weber, who has been placed in command of Fort Hatteras, is a native of Baden, Germany, and received an accomplished military education at Carlsruhe. During the revolution of 1848 he served at the head of a brigade, commanding the advanced guard of Gen. Franz Siegel, distinguishing himself by his gallant bearing through that interesting campaign. The struggle for German liberty and independence failing to realize all that its friends hoped for it, Col. Weber with many others was banished for thirteen years, and took up his residence in this country. Only a short time ago, it is reported, he received his pardon through the influence of his father, who is an officer of high rank in Germany, and was requested to return home. He was at about the same time tendered the command of the rifle regiment formed by the Turnverein of New York, which he promptly accepted, with the assurance that he could not return to his fatherland till the liberty of his adopted country was secured and established.

New York Democracy

The New York democratic convention in session last week at Syracuse passed a set of resolutions in which they took strong ground in support of the Government against this rebellion, went strongly for re-establishing the federal authority in all the States, and condemned all agitators in the loyal States who were demanding a premature peace. These were all as they should be and are decidedly patriotic and loyal. But in order to prove that they were democrats and not republicans, they thought they must condemn something. And they therefore declared that they disapproved martial law where it had been declared, that the President had no right to suspend the writ of habeas corpus, and that they did not like the doctrine of his message that the States derived authority from the national constitution.

Headquarters Army of the Potomac,

Washington, Sept. 6, 1861.

The Major General commanding desires and requests that in future there may be a more perfect respect for the Sabbath on the part of his command. We are fighting in a holy cause, and should endeavor to deserve the benign favor of the Creator. Unless in the case of an attack by the enemy, or some other extreme military necessity, it is commended to commanding officers that all work shall be suspended on the Sabbath ; that no unnecessary movements shall be made on that day ; that the men shall, as far as possible, be permitted to rest from their labors ; that they shall attend Divine service after the customary inspection, and that officers and men shall alike use their influence to insure the utmost decorum and quiet on that day. The General commanding regards this as no idle form. One day’s rest in seven is necessary to men and animals. More than this, the observance of the Holy Day of the God of mercy and of battles is our sacred duty.

George B. McClellan,

Major-General Commanding.

A True Bill

The New York Herald tells in plain English the whole story of the secession “peace” movements that are made here and there at the North. Here is what it says :

“We have seen enough of these treacherous peace meetings to understand them. We undertake to say that in every case, the prime mover has been some miserable vagabond politician, run to seed, and ready to undertake anything for a little ready money—that these vagabonds have been discovered and bought up by the agents of Jeff. Davis to do his dirty work, and that these peace missionaries of treason, with their price in their pockets, have been distributed about in our loyal States to foment divisions and discords among our people.”

Death of Jeff Davis

It was currently reported last week that Jeff David was dead—He had been sick and feeble and oppressed with anxieties, and was probably tormented with a guilty conscience. Under the circumstances people thought it very likely that he was dead. But reports were conflicting, and no one seemed to know anything about the matter. Some time ago it was announced that Beauregard was dead, and subsequently that McCullock was defunct. It is not best to be too credulous about these things.

Gen. Butler’s Welcome Home

Gen. Butler arrived at his home in Lowell at 7 P.M. on Thursday. He received an enthusiastic welcome from a cavalcade of horsemen and a long procession of citizens. Mayor Sergeant addressed Gen. Butler in complimentary terms, to which the latter responded, saying that no man should count the cost of putting down this rebellion. No middle course could be admitted. After remaining at home for a brief period, Gen. Butler said he should go back, never to return until peace is restored.


Gen. Lyon’s remains lay in state in Hartford Tuesday evening of last week and on Wednesday at noon they were taken, accompanied by a military escort, to Eastford, where on Thursday the funeral was attended at the Congregational church.


Hon. Gideon Welles, Secretary of the Navy, arrived in Hartford last week, on a short visit home.


Marshall Carr has issued an order, as will be seen, forbidding the circulation of the New York News in this State.

Office of the United States Marshal

New Haven, Conn., September 6th, 1861.

To the Editor of “The Constitution”

Middletown, Conn.,

Sir :–After to-day the sale, keeping for sale, or circulation of “The New York Daily News,” a newspaper published in the City of New York, is by order of the Government to me directed, not to be allowed or permitted in the State of Connecticut, and all loyal citizens will assist me in carrying this order into effect. It is to be hoped this order will be duly respected by all peace-loving citizens, and so I trust it will be, at all events the nuisance in question must and shall be abated, peaceably if it can, forcibly if it must.

David H. Carr, United States Marshal.

Volunteer Troops

About twenty five more men wanted to fill up the 4th volunteer company now being raised in Middletown, to the maximum num[ber] of 101. This fine company is to be commanded by Capt. J. C. Comstock, late captain of company A, 1st Regt., Connecticut Volunteers. His gallant services during this three months term in the war, as well as his long experience as a military commander, renders him a most popular and efficient officer, and cannot fail to render this one of the most efficient companies in the 8th regt., in which it will probably be enrolled. Persons wishing to enlist in this company, are invited to call soon at the tent on Union Park, in this city, where they will be waited upon by Lieut. Thompson, or other officers of the company.

A Young Military Company

A company of boys has been organized in this city, and for some time past has been drilled by Mr. Giroux, who has been on recruiting service here. They are called the Russell Guard. On Friday they paid a visit to Gen. Mansfield at his residence, where they performed the military evolutions very creditably, especially the “double-quick.”

West Green

The city authorities, under the supervision of B. Bent, Jr., Esq., have commenced work on the West Green. It is expected that it will soon change its appearance and be more inviting.


Edward Bliss of this city, a tinner, fell from the roof of a house in Hartford, a distance of 35 feet, on Saturday. We regret to learn that he is badly injured. He fell from a house in that city last spring from which injuries he had but just recovered.


A horse attached to a light buggy, belonging in Westfield, on Friday afternoon, started on a run up Main street, and then turned around and run down again. After accomplishing this feat, without doing any damage to himself or the buggy, he quietly submitted to his master.


There will be a larger number of destitute persons than usual thrown upon the town during the coming winter. In order to give them support and avoid the expense to the town without any remuneration, it was been suggested that they should be employed in doing the grading of the “Middlesex & Hartford County Rail Road,” and that the road should give bonds to the town for the amount of labor. As arrangements have already been made for the iron, the town would have a security for the value they would expend in this manner. The attention of the towns down the river is invited to consider if this plan may not be a good one for them to adopt.


While the steamboat Ella was lying at Stamford on Saturday, the stewardess, an Irish girl, set her clothes on fire while trying to fill a lighted fluid lamp, and was burned to death. The cook, a colored woman, was so badly burned in trying to put out the flames, that she lived but a short time.


The great rhinoceros belonging to Dan Rice’s circus, which was knocked overboard about a fortnight since by the colliding of two steamers on the Mississippi, was not killed, as first stated, but has turned up near La Crosse, Wis., where he is now “ramping” around to the great terror of timid people. The “slough” in which the doughty beast was at last accounts is very deep, with a muddy bottom, and though it is just such a place as he was captured from in the East, there is no telling how long he may remain quiet without taking a notion to prowl around the country in search of better fare. About a hundred persons had gone down there from La Crosse to help in his capture. He is reported to have scared three men half to death, and pitched one of them at least fifty feet over and back of him, breaking an arm and two ribs in the fall. The monster then plunged into the river.


Much sympathy was excited for one of the treasonable persons who, when taken to Fort Lafayette, had coal black hair and whiskers which in a few days became almost white. Remorse was believed to be the cause, but he explained that it was only deprivation of his accustomed hair dye.—Boston Post.