From The Constitution, Wednesday, January 29, 1862 (volume 25, number 1257)

Latest News

No intelligence yet from Burnside’s expedition.

The accounts of the battle on the Cumberland fully confirm the first statements. There were eight regiments of the enemy under Gen. Crittenden. They began the attack on our forces on Saturday night. In the early part of the battle Zollicoffer fell. Three times the enemy formed their line, which was as often broken by the onset of our troops. Gen. Thomas had ten regiments under his command and four batteries. But five regiments and two batteries were engaged in the battle. The battle ground was at a place known as Old Fields in Pulaski County.

The news from Europe by the Europa, which brings dates to the 12th, is quite satisfactory. The answer of Secretary Seward to the demand with regard to the Trent affair is all that was desired by the English government, and the Times intimates that an answer will be returned expressing gratification at the disavowal of Capt. Wilkes’ act and assuming that the precedent will rule in other cases.

The oath of office was yesterday administered to associate justice Swayne who took his seat on the bench of the U. S. Supreme Court.

A fire broke out in Quincy market, Boston, on Monday morning, which proved very disastrous to the occupants of the market. Total loss is estimated at $50,000.

David S. Robinson, Esq., a prominent citizen of Hartford, is dead.


Cincinnati, Jan. 24.

The morning papers contain full accounts of the battle of Mill Springs. It was a fair, open battle. The rebels fought well, and were overcome only by superior fighting on our side. According to the rebel accounts, their force consisted of ten infantry regiments, three batteries and some cavalry,–altogether about 10,000. They fought in the bushwhacker style, from ravines and behind trees and rocks.

The brunt of the battle devolved on the 4th Kentucky, 2d Minnesota, 9th Ohio and 10th Indiana. For nearly three hours the roar of musketry was kept up. Shortly after 11 o’clock, Col. Hoskins succeeded in flanking the enemy on the extreme right, when the 9th Ohio and 2d Minnesota charged bayonet, with triumphant yells, and broke the rebel ranks and the route [sic] began. They fled pell mell to their camp, strewing the road with muskets, blankets, overcoats and knapsacks, and abandoned two guns and caissons.

Zollicoffer was shot through the heart, at the head of his staff, by Col. Frye of the 4th Kentucky. It appears that he lost his way in the bushes and suddenly emerged before Frye who was accompanied by some staff officers.

The two parties mistook each other for friends, and approached each other within a few yards, when, finding their mistake, both parties prepared for a hand to hand fight. One of Zollicoffer’s aids shot at Col. Frye, but only brought his horse down. The Colonel at once drew his six-shooter and brought Zollicoffer from his saddle at the first fire. The rebel staff deserted their chief’s body, which was taken to Somerset the day after the battle.


The new Secretary of War has commenced his administration with a set of stringent rules and regulations which must have an excellent influence on the business of this department and on the efficiency of the army. One of his rules is that no appointment shall be made to any rank in the army, unless of men in the field, until the first of March. Another is that the names of such officers as frequent the city except on military duty, or by command of their superior officers, will be dropped from the list. General McClellan has removed his head quarters to the War Department, a fact which shows that the utmost harmony in regard to plans of future operations prevails between the Secretary and the General-in-Chief.

The Europeans in Mexico

The French and English forces have joined the Spaniards at Vera Cruz. According to the arrangements, the next step[s] in the programme are the invasion of the country, the seizure of the government, and then to obtain such indemnity for the past and security for the future as shall satisfy the invaders. Whether all this will take place according to the programme is exceedingly uncertain. It is discovered that the Mexico of to day is different from the Mexico, as she was described to be, of six months ago. Spain, which is the foremost and most interested party in this invasion, represented that intestine feuds and wars had worn out the life of Mexico, that no resistance of importance could be made, and that, immediately upon landing, the allies would find a strong party in the country in their favor. But now that the allies have reached Vera Cruz, and have had an opportunity to take a survey of things as they are, they discover a very different state of things from what they expected. Instead of finding Mexico reduced to the verge of dissolution, she is discovered to be remarkably vigorous and strong. Instead of the promised welcome from a large and powerful party, they have not yet seen any signs of existence of such a party. On the other hand, they find that Mexico is united in resisting the invaders, and that a well appointed army of one hundred and fifty thousand men is ready to take the field against them. Under these new aspects of the case the allies will probably feel disposed to reconsider the matter. Vera Cruz may be found a convenient stopping place for the present, or until some arrangements could be entered into with the Mexican government, which will enable the French and English to get out of the scrape they have evidently got into.

Emigration to Hayti

On Thursday afternoon, the second colony of colored emigrants dispatched this month, sailed for Port-au-Prince and Miragoane, Hayti. The first colony consisted of 35 ; yesterday, 42 sailed. The colony of yesterday was composed exclusively of farmers from Michigan, Canada, and Pennsylvania. The next colony will sail from this port on the 20th inst., for Cape Hayti, in the north of the island, and on the 25th another will sail for Aguin, in the south of the island—both to found new settlements.


John Tyler, ex-President of the United States, died at Richmond on Friday night, after a brief illness. He was elected Vice President of the United States, and became President on the death of Gen. Harrison. His term of office was an inglorious one, having betrayed the party which elected him, and the political principles he had professed to hold. In his last days he has been an active promoter of rebellion in Virginia.

Army Telegraph

Over one thousand miles of telegraph wire connects the various divisions of McClellan’s army at Washington. He can communicate instantly with all his Generals, and the lines are to be extended as the divisions move.


Dr. Russell, of the London Times, is actually “packing up to go.” He has engaged passage in the next Cunard steamer from this port—the Arabia—to leave tomorrow week. He says he has written all about this miserable country and this miserable war that can be written, and besides, he is tired of staying among a people who cannot appreciate his transcendent genius for drawing on his imagination for his facts. It is said he will employ the few remaining days of his sojourn here, in hunting up that terrible mob which was to perform such shocking things if Mr. Lincoln decided to give up Slidell and Mason. When found he will please make a note of it.—N. Y. Cor. Phil. Inq.

Drafting in Middletown

In compliance with the requirements of the new militia law, a draft was made in this town last week. The quota of Middletown is one hundred and eight. We understand that many of the victims, when informed of their fate, showed considerable emotion. Most of them exhibited a becoming patriotism, others manifested no little trepidation, while one or two, we are sorry to hear, became unaccountably lame.


We understand that some bogus notices, purporting to come from the selectmen, have been sent around to individuals in town to the effect that they have been drafted into the active militia.

From Mayor’s Report

Washington Park

In my last annual report, I called the attention of the city to the subject of constructing a public park on Washington street, between High and Vine streets, as well for the use of our citizens as a promenade, as for an improvement and ornament to the city.

I recommended the appropriation of a sum not to exceed six hundred dollars therefor [sic], conditioned that a like sum be raised from other sources, or be paid in equal moieties with such sums as shall be so raised of a less amount.

The proposed plan met the approval of the meeting, and the appropriation was accordingly granted. Owing to the great and peculiar calamities which had subsequently fallen upon our country, affecting injuriously its general interests and prosperity, I had determined not to move in the matter this year, but leave it to my successor in office to be governed by future circumstances in relation to it.

It was those very calamities, however, that afterwards induced me to change my purpose and make an effort to carry out the plan originally proposed. The sudden suspension of manufacturing, mechanical and other industrial pursuits, threw out of employ a large number of able bodied worthy men, in the fall of the year, who, with their families, were likely to be subjected to great distress for means of support.

If some plan could be devised, to give them employment, even at low wages, it would in fact be a matter of public economy, and save the expense of a greater expenditure for their support in idleness, through no fault of theirs.

I therefore made an appeal to our citizens for aid, more on the ground of a charitable measure, than of a public improvement, tho’ both objects would be gained by it, and succeeded in getting a subscription of $450, towards which the town, through their selectmen, subscribed $150. With these means and an equal amount received from the city treasurer, the work was commenced, and prosecuted so near to completion, in grading, culverts, and drains, as will leave but little more to do in the spring to complete it, than to fence it and plant the trees, which the lateness of the season prevented being done this fall. …

E. A. RUSSELL, Mayor.

Middletown, Jan. 20th, 1862.

The Weather

We have just been through what they call a “spell of weather.” For more than a week the sun did not show his face in Connecticut. It has snowed, and hailed, and rained, and sleeted. The wind has been through all the variations of the gamut, and blown from all the stormy points of the compass. Saturday was sloshy, that is, snow and water up to the ankles. On Sunday the weather cleared, and there is now a thick bed of snow and ice on the ground, which promises good sleighing for some time to come.


The heavy weight of snow and water on Saturday caused some damage. The roof of the west barn of the livery stable of S. Hall & Son, in Court street, gave way under the pressure. One horse was badly injured.

A chimney on the dwelling of Wm. H. Atkins, in College street, was taken off by the snow as it slid down the roof.


The town clock has indicated the same time of day for about two weeks. Judging from the sounds, the internal arrangements keep moving, but the public is not much benefitted thereby.


NOTICE is hereby given to all whom it may concern, that I have from this date given my son CHARLES EDWARD LEWIS his time and the avails of his labor and that I will not pay any bills of his contracting.


Middletown, January 27, 1862.